I have had cable access (using DHCP) for a year and
my IP address has changed only once.  This is very
convenient, considering I often access my home network
from a RW.  I don't need DNS to resolve the address, I
hard code it.

I now have to use ADSL access using PPPoE and dynamic
address.  My question is: are PPPoE addresses as stable?

Is there the equivalent of a "lease".  Is there a trick
I can use to keep the address (e.g. ping some address
once a minute)?  Is there another way that I can tolerate
changing addresses by reresolving the address (dynamic
DNS???).

TIA

Keith Laidlaw
Manager of Engineering