On Sun, 9 Dec 2001, Keith Laidlaw wrote:

> I have had cable access (using DHCP) for a year and
> my IP address has changed only once.  This is very
> convenient, considering I often access my home network
> from a RW.  I don't need DNS to resolve the address, I
> hard code it.
>
> I now have to use ADSL access using PPPoE and dynamic
> address.  My question is: are PPPoE addresses as stable?
>
> Is there the equivalent of a "lease".  Is there a trick
> I can use to keep the address (e.g. ping some address
> once a minute)?

Any such method would depend on implementation details of the dhcp server,
which your ISP could update or completely replace almost any time they
wish.

>  Is there another way that I can tolerate
> changing addresses by reresolving the address (dynamic
> DNS???).

Search for dynamic dns at google.  www.dyndns.org, www.yp.org... there are
quite a few.  They typically involve having a script or program on your
box to inform them of your new ip address when it changes.  I have static
so I don't know details, but I think ez-ipupdate has been setup as an LRP
package.

DCN:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing