Todd Pearsall wrote:

> On a related note, I was having problems after I started using squid on a
> dachstein CD (default RAM disk size) on a P75 with 32MB of RAM.  After
> installing squid it would work fine for a while and then I'd start
> periodically seeing messages like:
>   VM Process Killing: {different service name}
>   VM Process Killing: {different service name}
>   VM Process Killing: {different service name}
>
> as services stopped.  The error message are from my memory so it may not be
> exact, but should be close.  I assume this is the kernel killing processes
> since it is low on virtual memory to keep the kernel from running out of VM
> and crashing.  Anyone else running into this?  BTW, this is running as
> proxy-only, no caching.

Squid needs *LOTS* of memory and disk space.  I'd recommend you run with
64M at least, maybe more.  Remember, too, that unlike normal
distributions a major chunk of that 32M is used by the RAM disks, so
you're actually running on something like 16M or less for Squid to run
in.  Get more memory....

> I also wanted to log squid to a remote machine but the usual syslog.conf *.*
> #re.mo.te.ip didn't seem to work, no squid logs that I could find appeared
> on there remote server.  Does squid not use the syslog daemon?

Use squid -s to log startups and shutdowns (and such like) to syslog.
As for "accesses", it's not currently possible.