Ray Olszewski wrote:

> At 05:37 PM 12/14/01 -0600, Michael D. Schleif wrote:
> >Interestingly, under the kernel that is functioning properly, there is
> >*NO* /proc/ide !?!?

> >So, how is this handling the IDE hdd?  Is it using scsi to interpret
> >ide?
>
> It would be easier to answer this if we know what kernel version was
> involved. An earlier message mentioned "Under the original slink, *ALL* of
> this functions properly!" So I dusted off my old Slink workstation and
> started it up. My version runs kernel 2.0.36; is that what we are talking
> about as "original"?

2.0.38

> If so, I match your observation that there is no /proc/ide ... but the
> changes between kernel 2.0.x and 2.2.x were pretty far-reaching ...
> contrasted with a Potato workstation running 2.2.19, the /proc
> pseudo-directory differs in many ways, with many fewer file-style paths into
> kernel variables than the newer kernels have ... so I wouldn't worry much
> about this one difference.
>
> I'm sure it isn't using scci to "interpret" ide, since none of my systems
> include scsi drives or drivers.

Nevertheless, the problem remains -- the system does *not* recognize
/dev/hdb1.

Any ideas how to correct this?

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .