a few early morning thoughts:
-if booting with CD as source, why not back up anything newer than the
CD creation date?  I'm sure there's _some_ combination of actions that'd
break under this(ie. updated *.LRP packages on floppy/HD with files
older than CD's write time, but newer than CD's package), but for the
most part, it *might* do the job.

- why not have a 'backup package' that builds MD5 sums of current *.LRP
packages and is the last to be backed up?  Upon initiating a backup,
it'd at least identify if the package is truly different from the last
time & thus needs to be backed up.

Doug.

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> a late night thought:
>
> why not intercept the write() system call?  if the write is to a
> file on the filesystem, keep track of its path in some kernel data
> structure.
> better yet, generate a /proc file with the pathnames of all filesystem
> files that were modified by write().
>
> the backup program would then read from this file and pop off the
> pathnames as they were backed up.  this would be implemented as a
> kernel module.

We couldn't pop off the pathnames, as subsequent backups would need to
do the same files.