On Friday 04 January 2002 23:48, you wrote:

> Thanks for putting that up.  Any reason why
> the first couple of paragraphs have strange
> word
> wrap so that a lot of lines look like the above?

My html line breaks aren't taking properly and with all the devel and
personal work in the last month, not to mention migrating to a
slightly different format on my site, I haven't got around to
properly changing things to <p> as opposed to <br> and
_implied_ browser interpretation. It is on the list with a couple
of other updates/changes to do on the site.... pending finishing
two other projects in the coming week. I would like to take on
some contributed docs to Dachstein (submitted of course) and
hopefully some scripting adds to make the setup a little more
like FreeSCO for those who truly have no experience/knowledge
with Linux and/or full TCP/IP setup. More or less the scripts would
amount to something like an install.sh script setting already set
variables on a custom image for different types of connections.

Then again, I don't know if the demand suggests a _need_ for
this other than slowing much of the mailing list traffic.
Thoughts if anyone cares ~~~> maybe a devel group thing.

> Also, you can add to your explanation of the original
> LRP variant, Dave Cinege's baby, that none of us use it
> because he's a jerk and thinks Tim McVeigh was a hero.

I was around and using LRP before and still monitoring/learning
from the group when this incident happened. I must say that
I still monitored the list after most everyone else was gone, but
I totally understand and support everyone's decision. Political
preferences aside, Dave really gave us something to work from
that we owe some respect to. Not only from time saved to get
where we are now, but in not selling out with a product that he
would most likely make a better living with during the time that
any of us have been using/developing from it. My political views
personally are actually split down the middle between the two
extremes, I won't punish him for his views but rather the fact
that he forced many other people to be personally affected with
them unknowingly and without any warning or consideration
which is simply unforgiveable.

If the present developers of LEAF would prefer
that I make mention of this situation, I will willingly do so w/o
reservation. Otherwise, I will, from respect, refer to the proper lrp
branches from coming from Dave's release(s) out of the respect of my
using his "base". I can honestly say that Coyote split quite a long time
ago and even closed-source on the Win32 side for some time. I would say that
the present devel release (hd version) isn't nearly as embedded as any of the
LEAF versions. I can't honestly say that FreeSCO ever developed from LRP
 other than assumption w/o more digging.

It is quite a mixture of honesty, personal experience, and opinion in
particular with _that_ page w/o any predujice other than to have
someone investigating an embedded *NIX distro to make a good
choice on which direction to take. I've used all of those "deviants"
and still do under certain circumstances. I prefer Dachstein and
Oxygen to any others, which I believe is stated on the page. For
what I do not personally use either of these two for, I am more
than willing to devel to accomodate until they are the best tool.

I've spent the last year working on a beta of a _personal_ server
Linux distro based on LFS, which pretty much ended it's life cycle
about 3 weeks ago with a major hd problem on my desktop while
working on an installer.  I have been promised some help if I baseit on
Potato or Woody, but I don't really feel like starting over at this time.
I have come to think that most everything I would setup is either somewhat
available on LEAF or almost supported with a move up in glibc. Embedded would
be much nicer than disk-based if I put some more thought into the
different necessary chroot'ed environments.

branch ~~~>thread,
Feel free to contact me personally concerning any of this post or my web site.

~Lynn Avants
aka Guitarlynn