**** I'm assuming you want to be able to open Network Neighborhood and
see all the machines on each LAN (which must be in different
workgroups!).  Clicking on a machine would give you the shared
resources, further clicking would show files etc.  This is what you
want, right?  Assuming this, then the cut/paste reference relates to
moving, opening, copying files with point/click in Windows Explorer or
where ever - typical Windows file manipulation.

> What about shares?  If we cannot browse to the other side
> with explorer, how do we map shares?  Manually, by knowing
> the name/address and share name?

**** Yes.  You would need to 'map network drive' and specify
'\\192.168.x.y\share' by knowing all in advance.  You would then be able
to browse the files.  In order to 'browse' (and you used the exact
term!), you need a browse list.  These are generated within the subnet
by multicast (?  I'm on thin ice here - not 100% sure of the details!!)
which is not routable through the VPN.  Luckily, Samba has the ability
to elect itself the masterbrowser on the LAN and share browse
information with Samba servers on other LANs through the VPN.  This is
how I got it working.  To the best of my knowledge, NT won't do this.  I
found that Samba would then report the workgroup name for the other end,
but NOT the machines within.  For some reason, I needed WINS active on
ONE Samba server (all workstations across the LANs pointed to it) to
enable browsing of the actual workstations within the remote workgroup.
I've never satisfied myself as to why this was, or that it was the only
way!  However, the browse list would include all the local workstations
but only the master browsers on the remote LANs.  Clicking on the remote
workgroup effectively asks the remote browsemaster for a browse list.
How or why it was unable to return the list without WINS active is
beyond my comprehension.  It may be as simple as not being able to map
the IP of the remote browsemaster from the name in Network
Neighborhood... At least that's my suspicion.

Just as a FYI, I found the VPN to be horribly slow when doing file
operations from within Network Neighborhood.  If I located the resource,
then mapped it as a drive, the same operations were much faster when
accessed via the mapped drive.

Brock