Many big ISPs want the search domain to be their own for ease of client
setup.  Users can then setup mail clients and the like easily.  The would
make the pop3 server pop3.attbi.com and the smtp server smtp.attbi.com (or
something similar), then users would only have to put pop3 and smtp in when
configuring their client software....