On Friday 18 January 2002 09:00, Michael D. Schleif wrote:
> > We are finally getting ours,  in the Exicte@home demise,  and they
> > have changed something,
> > we're on a whole new IP network now.   And suddenly,  no service..
> >
> > It seems the handshaking for the DHCP is not the same anymore,  the
> > box is offering but nobody is
> > taking it.  Strangely,  it WILL give an IP to my 98 machine when
> > plugged straight to the cable modem, after a couple of days of not
> > even that working.

boot up again in Win98 and run "winipcfg" as Michael suggested. Make
not of the default gateway on you NIC. Before closing "winipcfg", you
_must_ "Release all" then shutdown Win98. Boot up Dachstein and
enter the default gateway you found in "winipcfg" to the line in
network.conf that reads "DEFAULT_GW= www.xxx.yyy.zzz". Now do a
"svi network reload" and things should be better.

It seems with Excite out of there that Cox@Home is only giving out one
dhcp lease at a time forcing you to "release" one before getting
another. There has been several cases of this in the last couple of
weeks. The default gateway seems to be more of a regional requirement,
but it wouldn't hurt to enter it in either case.

--

~Lynn Avants
aka Guitarlynn

guitarlynn at users.sourceforge.net
http://leaf.sourceforge.net

If linux isn't the answer, you've probably got the wrong question!