On Friday 18 January 2002 12:18, you wrote:

> Hey Jon,
>   I can't say for sure, but these three look too
> similar to be co-inkydinks:
>
> > USER     TTY     PID     TIMEON  FROM
> > root     ttyp0   1532    21794   UNKNOWN
> > root     ttyp0   1540    21791   10.*.*.*
> > root     ttyp0   1554    21785   10.*.*.*
>
> Don't you think there's some similarity?  It difficult
> to get those so sequential, wouldn't you think?  Could the
> unknown be from a login that didn't finish for some
> innocent reason?
>
> Matt

Hi matt, and thanks for the response :)

similar..? -well yeah, now that you mention it, they *do* look kind of the
same (both pid, and time-on -wise). Especially when compared to the rest of
the entries :P

Also I talked some more with Jan, and as it turns out he *was* doing some
stuff that morning. So I should ask if he had some login fail at some
point...

Guess I could have looked a litlle closer before posting :( I just got pretty
upset, 'cause I've never seen an 'unknown' come up like that before. And as I
said, I'm pretty new to fw-building, and as such naturally paranoid.

There are enough 'unknowns' (pun intended) for me in dealing with all this
stuff, as it is.

Thanks though. I haven't seen anything on the inside that suggets a breach,
so I think it's probably o.k.

Now, about that other stuff I was going to ask about, now that I've come out
in the open... I'll post ;)

Jon