On Thursday 17 January 2002 07:36, Victor McAllisteer wrote:

Hi list

<snip>--Initial post

I'm in a somewhat similar situation as the original poster. I too would like
to access the weblet of a floppy-Dachstein, from the outside. The difference
is, that we have a webserver in the DMZ, so port 80 gets forwarded to that
machine.

I have tried to use 81 instead, but obviously something's not going right. I
used this as guidelines:

> You will probably have to add something in /etc/hosts.allow:
> sh-httpd: ip.add.re.ss/255.255.255.0

put my ip/mask in /etc/hosts.allow like above.

> In /etc/network.conf
> EXTERN_TCP_PORTS="address/mask_www"

put EXTERN_TCP_PORTx="my.ip/my.mask 81"
(I like the indexed list better. The indexnumber is o.k.)

> Look in /etc/sh-httpd.conf to add the address range you are trying to
> access from
> # Who can access the server?
> CLIENT_ADDRS="123.345.456."

Did this. Have tried ip alone, and ip/mask.

Also I put
PORT=81 in /etc/sh-httpd.conf

Access from the inside works perfectly. (Although I'm a bit puzzled by the
fact that 'insiders' seem to access weblet on port 80, despite the PORT=81
statement above)

So:
Are there things about this that are doomed to failure? (like using port 81)

Am I overlooking something (else) obvious?

I really would appreciate some help with this, as I'm not only a Dahcstein
newbie, but also rather frustrated at this point ;P

Will post logs/whatever as requested/required

TIA

Jon Clausen