On Friday 25 January 2002 09:07, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
> > OK, we have successfully built a couple DCD-DCD tunnels.  We are
> > still learning how to get full windoze functionality across the
> > tunnels.  Is it possible for a w2k-pro box to join (first time) a
> > domain on a w2k-adv-svr across this tunnel?
>
> Hmm...I think so.  You'll probably need to make sure you've got WINS
> setup properly, and you might have to 'kickstart' things by using IP
> addresses, or lmhosts entries at first.  Once your part of the
> domain, normal browsing will work across the VPN.

Keep in mind that starting with Win2K, WINS and DNS are integrated,
breaking RFC's and causing other major headaches (as Charles
lightly states to below). Samba or NT are much easier to do this with.
The best success I've found is a Samba WINS server on atleast one
of the tunnel sides. Mapping is almost required for any practical use
IMHO if your not running a total Win2K environment.

> ...make sure you
> MAP remote network resources rather than simply browsing to
> them...for some reason access is orders of magnitude faster that way.

__MUCH__ faster!!!

--

~Lynn Avants
aka Guitarlynn

guitarlynn at users.sourceforge.net
http://leaf.sourceforge.net

If linux isn't the answer, you've probably got the wrong question!