On Monday 04 February 2002 08:24, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Just my thoughts. What are the possibilities?

I've started a somewhat minimal install script base, as has Ken Hadley
for respective ethernet and ppp/pppoe installs. It is still somewhat
basic at this time w/o full capabilities (in my scripts). To keep the
size managable and the scripts/configuration in a non-confusing state,
/etc/network.conf will likely cease to exist as we know it and likely
be broken down into several different files.

Preferably, IMHO, this wouldn't necessarily be a good thing in the
Dachstein release for the following reasons:

        1. It breaks compatibility for support and configuration
            as we know DCD now if expanded too much, or simply
            becomes a byte-monster (within my scripting skills).

        2. The next major CS release will likely be a move to
            something quite non-DCD compatible and we will
            have to rewrite everything (to some degree).

            Testing/devel on DCD would be allright towards a
            a new layout, but not very practical considering the
            end of the "mountain" base is approching.

        3. For reason #2, script development on Bering might
            be a more resonable place to start and incorporate
            into the next CS release. It is likely to be more
            compatible than DCD, I guess we'll see when a
            devel base or bases appear. This would be the time
            to consider  the _future_ format though, rather than as
            an afterthought.

        4. A floppy-generator will likely be the best move in the
            future to achieve a more verstile floppy. Once that
            network.conf is broken down, you lose the benefit
            of the file itself, and pure script configuration would
            be a very nice option (IMHO).

You could use these "scripts" as a lrcfg menu item (as I have started)
or a weblet-configuration applet, all of which could be added/removed
as packages themselves for user preferences. Things are in a planning
stage (on my part anyway), so there won't be (much) re-work towards
a final product. I would prefer to extend as opposed to re-write, but
that is dependant on future distribution bases implicitly.

You can find my scripts (testing), that work for ethernet/cable at:
        http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/guitarlynn

I'm more than willing to take any and all suggestions, advice, and help
that anyone is willing to give. The more I look into it, the necessary
planning gets to take up a pretty wide scope!

--

~Lynn Avants
aka Guitarlynn

guitarlynn at users.sourceforge.net
http://leaf.sourceforge.net

If linux isn't the answer, you've probably got the wrong question!