Jack Coates wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, David Douthitt wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > Another note: rdate uses an old obsolete form of network time
> > synchronization; I suspect more and more time servers may stop
> > providing the service rdate uses (wuarchive.wustl.edu seems to have
> > stopped...)
> >
> > If anyone's bundled it, ntpdate would be better to use...
> > --
>
> And how; there's a xntpd package out there, but I haven't seen ntpdate.
> xntpd's binary is 175,832 bytes; the whole package is 88,007
> bytes compressed.

First of all, tock.usno.navy.mil still offers the "time" service
that rdate connects to.  I prefer xntpd and run a master time
server on my Unix box, which LEAF sets it's time to.

Secondly this whole discussion about setting the date
is a waste of time until David replaces the broken busybox
date with a working date binary.  What good is it to set
the clock with atomic precision when date doesn't even know
the difference between GMT and EST?  Most programs get the
date and time wrong, while the other half log with a shifted
timestamp?  The syslog goes kablooie.  You have no idea when
anything happened.  But it's atomically accurate....
that's a relief :)

Additionally, Serge is talking about creating a baseline
of packages for LEAF that includes busybox.  I hope he's
actually tried each busybox command, like date.

Regards,
Matthew