On 2/5/02 at 10:56 AM, Matt Schalit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Secondly this whole discussion about setting the date
> is a waste of time until David replaces the broken busybox
> date with a working date binary.  What good is it to set
> the clock with atomic precision when date doesn't even know
> the difference between GMT and EST?

I don't program busybox.  I don't control busybox.  I didn't write
busybox or the busybox date command.

The "broken date" is only in the reporting of the timezone, as I
remember.  If the system is set correctly, it doesn't matter.  rdate,
ntpdate, hwclock - they all work just fine - and two of them are in
busybox.  As a matter of fact - hwclock is not.

> Most programs get the
> date and time wrong, while the other half log with a shifted
> timestamp?  The syslog goes kablooie.  You have no idea when
> anything happened.

The programs that get the time wrong are their own problems (not
problems with date) - syslogd, for example, is the full version.
ssmtp is ssmtp - if it gets the date wrong, it is its own fault as
long as the timezones are set correctly.  Make sure TZ is set and
/etc/localtime points to a file that exists and is correct.

In my mind, the TZ environment variable should be all that is required
- but it would appear things are not that way any more.  It used to be
simple... someone had to muck it up.

At worst - things are either in GMT or in localtime.  Period.

If it's really bad - forget timezones and set the system hardware time
to local time, not GMT.
--
David Douthitt
UNIX Systems Administrator