> On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Larry Platzek wrote:
> > How much effor would be required to update DUCLING to include use the
> > newer version of FreeS/wan?
>
> Probably not much. The easiest route would require stripping the
> IPSec-enabled Dachstein distribution down. The purpose of DUCLING was to
> put a working VPN/Firewall on a single diskette for people to play with.
> It was more of a proof-of-concept than a serious tool.
>
> As far as going adding a second floppy ... its been done. Dachstein
> works well, unless you feel you can improve upon this.
>
> I don't know if everything would still fit (I believe it still would). I
> found the most time-consuming part of the whole thing was testing and
> documentation. I would readily do an update, but I'm pretty busy right
> now. If anyone wishes to update DUCLING, I would gladly encourage them to
> do so.

If anyone wants to do this, it should be pretty easy.  Dachstein is
substantially smaller than EigerStein, so AFAIK, you'd basically only have
to rip out the "fluff" (ie weblet, dhcpd &c...maybe some NIC modules too...)
from Dachstein to get enough space to add ipsec.lrp.

I *think* things are enough smaller now you could put the DUCLING
functionality on a 1680K disk, rather than a 1720K disk...

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net