I have a 3C509b and a RTL8139 PCI card in my router.  The rtl8139 is assigned
eth0 while 3c509b is assigned eth1.  The router runs DCD 102.

The rtl8139 is a 10/100 PCI card and thus I would like to use as the internal
card instead of as the external card.  The external card connects to a cable
modem.

I've identified two possibilities for switching these two cards around as
follows:
1) rearrange the order in which the NICs are listed in the /etc/modules file.
2) identify eth1 as the external card in /etc/network.conf and allow dlclient
to retrieve an ip address for eth0.

What's the best way to switch so that the rtl8139 card is assigned as eth1 and
the 3c509b is eth0?

~Doug