On Monday 18 February 2002 19:25, Tim Wegner wrote:
> Charles wrote:
> > Actually, I do have a comment or two  :).
>
> Good ! :-)
>
> > It looks like your ISP's
> > DHCP server is not allowing you to renew a lease, but instead is
> > giving you a new lease with the same IP.  This is strange behavior,
> > and is what's causing your problem...as far as dhclient is
> > concerned, it's lease renewal was rejected (the first DHCPREQUEST
> > and the DHCPNAK, above), so it had to ask for a completely new
> > lease (the second DHCPDISCOVER, and the DHCPOFFER, DHCPREQUEST, and
> > DHCPACK, above).

Well, udhcpd assumes this approach, which seems to be a consolidation
of given responses. Whereas dhclient will give 6 or 7 different
deconfig (PREINIT), bound (BOUND), and renew (RENEW). (RELEASE)
is given through a SIGUSR2 signal from a kill command and (TIMEOUT)
simply exits the program (I think).

What this amounts too is that the only responses assumed to be returned
from ISP are these three regardless of server platform. The only reason
given in the documentation for even calling a "renew" script is the
fact that udhcp assumes that "renew" does _not_ change the ip address,
only the gateway, wins, or dns server(s) information. To be on the safe
side, I went ahead and scripted a possible addy change, but the docs
indicate that this was un-needed even though the gateway and route
would possibly change.

Now whether this means a hill of beans to dhclient is another story
altogether, but on a renew signal the route dependent applications
should be reloaded on the by chance that this _might_ happen.
It is not likely to happen within the US IMHO, but many non-US
ISP's (especially with PPP) are well known to change ip addresses
within a couple of hours which the DHCP clients must be able to
handle. I think it is normal behavior for the client programs, though
the reasoning most likely will never affect you personally.

Hope this helps,
--

~Lynn Avants
aka Guitarlynn

guitarlynn at users.sourceforge.net
http://leaf.sourceforge.net

If linux isn't the answer, you've probably got the wrong question!