Sorry to chime in so late, I've had an interesting week. If anyone's
tried to get a page from or send a mail to monkeynoodle.org lately,
you'll be glad to know all services seem to be back up to speed. Expect
goofiness from the web server as I'm trying out a little round-robin DNS
action.

Short answer -- power spike blew out my server/workstation's motherboard
and the power supplies to both Internet bridges. I compounded the
problem by trying to rebuild my box with a very cool distro (Sorcerer)
that didn't quite get along with my hardware (bummer).

Short answer is that it can't be done unless you don't need NAT on both
connections. More to the point, PAT. There is an interface to do
one-to-one NATs within iproute2, and I think this might work (haven't
tried it). Also if one of your ISPs provides you with enough real IP
space to use, you can treat it almost as a DMZ or 2nd EXTERN_NET and
then do all the NAT/PATing on the other ISP.

Quickest path to success is two routers. My current set up is two
routers with one fixed IP each. I have each of them portforwarding to a
specific server/workstation which uses that router as its default
gateway:

          ISPA                     ISPB
           |                        |
          RTRA                     RTRB
           |                        |
           ---------HUB--------------
                |              |
              BOX1           BOX2
              www            www
              mail           smtp
              ns             ns2
              squid          other stuff

If you have a third router, it can act as the traffic director.

HTH,
Jack

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Ryan P. Matijcio wrote:

> Hey Reginald!
>
> I found the easy part was getting the two interfaces to work.  The hard part is
>trying to get IPChains to be able use both.  I think it should be possible, but was
>hoping some more knowledgeable souls could give me they're opinion on it before I
>spend too much time tinkering with it to get it to work.  My concern now is if I can
>masq out two interfaces at the same time.
>
> Ultimately, I was hoping to be able to make Dachstein have support for two or more
>external interfaces using the existing EXTERN_IF variable.  Or perhaps adding my own
>variable to support additional external interfaces.
>
> My next test will be to try masq'ing on the ppp0 interface with the following
>command:
>
> ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -p all -s 10.0.1.0/24 -d 0/0 -i ppp0
>
> If I see some results after doing this, I might start trying to do more
>modifications to support multiple external interfaces.  I'll be trying this in a few
>hours, so maybe I'll post my results to the list.
>
> Cheers,
> Ryan

Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...