Joey,

I see nothing terribly wrong with the ipsec.conf file.
 Mine does have a leftid and rightid in the conn
home-office section.  I also have a auto=add on the
office and a auto=start on the home section.  Without
these lines it does not when to start up.  I'm sure
you are reading the configuration section from
freeswan.org.  You might also try the logs to see what
is going on.

# ipsec look - will give you the connections that are
up and allowed.  If the two are tunnel and secure if
gives more information than can be believed.

# more /var/log/log.auth will tell you all about how
the ipsec is connecting.  It will also give you some
real clues on connections.  This will get REAL chatty
if you change the plutodebug to all.

I believe uniqueids means that if "B" machine tries to
 connect while "A" still thinks its connected, "A"
will kill the current session with "B" and start a new
session with "B".

If you have a firewall other options might be needed
like leftfirewall=yes.

I'm about to finish a mini-howto for Dachstein CD
using X.509 certificates.  Let me know if you are
interested.

Hopes this helps - Bill