I am sorry for offending everyone.  I will proffer no excuses.  I was in
one of my bullheaded moods and acted inappropriately.  Again, I am
sorry.

Is it possible to ask a generic question?

In general, is it possible to answer my original questions?  Since I
don't see this as a setup question -- is it a setup question to you? --
I asked these questions in the most generic way, hoping to spare
bandwidth.  Apparently, I made a mistake.

I submitted log information -- apparently, that is also inadequate.

I humble myself to this list: what do we need to know to answer these
questions?

We have already analyzed the environments in which this happens and it
always happens on internal networks.  All of these sites have T1, dsl,
cable, &c. connections to the internet.  From the ``ll header'' entries
that accompany each martian, we have identified the mac address of
culprit workstations and determined that they are not dialing out on
modems; but, even if they were, I do not see any change to my
questioning.  What is the difference?  This only occurs on a small
percentage of workstations; otherwise, all of these networks behave as
we expect.

We have been told that, apparently, logging into aol over a lan
connection results in some kind of connection to a special aol network.
I have never used aol and I do not understand this -- hence the first
two questions.

Since this happens on several different networks, if some kind helper
really wants to see all of the setup and configuration information, then
I will comply; but, it will be a very long post.

Again, I am sorry to be so abrasive.  Although, I do not see this as a
setup issue and, therefore, I do not see in the troubleshooting
documents anything applicable to these issues, please, point me to the
information required and I will comply.

Thank you.

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .