OK. This is much clearer (and, BTW, different from *any* of the
interpretations I had thought of for your first message).

/etc/services does not "assign" ports to services; it just tells you want
services are *normally* associated with a port.

Your guess that something else is already using port 80 is a good one, but
since we don't know the details of your setup, we can't actually tell you
what that something is.

You say ...

>My internal clients access my DS web pages simply by typing the box'
>hostname (or IP number) + assgined port no. (ie:
>httpd://mydsbox:81/...). I also use a DS customized webmin.lrp package
>running under a different port no., and also accessible via the same
>procedure.

... at least implying that webmin is not on port 80, so I'm guessing that
that is not the culprit. Are you perhaps port forwarding port 80? Or
listening to it via inetd? See what "netstat -an" tells you about this port.
See if "ps ax" turns up any unexpected processes that might be the source of
the problem. See what "ipmasqadm portfw -l" tells you about forwarded ports.

Since LRP 2.9.8 uses the 2.0 kernel by default (unless you were using the
2.2.x kernel variant), its routing/firewalling/NATing internals are quite a
bit different from Dachstein. And the configuration files are very different
from Dachstein in either case. So what looks to you like "using this same
setup" may easily conceal considerable differences.

At 03:54 AM 3/11/02 +0800, Vic Berdin wrote:
>Thanks for your reply Ray.
>
>I am so sorry for sending such a vague account of my problem. Anyway,
>here it is. What I meant with "can't/won't use port 80" is that the
>"httpd" binary won't run if I set the httpd.conf Port setting to 80.
>Executing httpd manually, having Port variable set to 80 does not result
>to having "httpd" processes running in the background. HTTPD daemon
>simply won't start! But if I set my httpd.conf Port variable to 81 (or
>other values aside from 80) the daemon launches just fine. It seems that
>another process is using port 80. I am not using weblet.lrp. Now if I
>check my /etc/services file, 80 is properly allocated to "httpd".
>My internal clients access my DS web pages simply by typing the box'
>hostname (or IP number) + assgined port no. (ie:
>httpd://mydsbox:81/...). I also use a DS customized webmin.lrp package
>running under a different port no., and also accessible via the same
>procedure.
>I've been using this same setup on my old lrp 2.9.8 box and everything
>runs smoothly. No need to set a different Port value other than the
>default httpd port 80.
[old stuff deleted]