I haven't used the bwidth22.lrp package, but am playing around with HTB
queuing (which requires kernel  and iproute2 patches). If you are
willing to try a 2.4 kernel, you should consider the Bering
distribution. It includes Shorewall, which has some support for traffic
control (http://www.shorewall.net/traffic_shaping.htm). The schedulers
and classifiers that tc needs can be compiled as modules (I don't know
whether these come with Bering).

One big gotcha is that it is easier to shape outgoing traffic than to
police incoming traffic, since we can't directly control how fast the
Internet sends us data. Check out Cookbook, currently found at
http://lartc.org/docbook-html/x1847.html.

-Richard