>From: "Charles Steinkuehler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>Ah...I just picked up several 1U Intel servers that fit this
>description. They are NetStructure 1020's,

I'm looking at Dell PowerEdge 350's and 1650's.

>In general, I'd say unless you need the horse-power for VPN encryption
>or something, you'll have an easier time with the 440BX based systems.
>Also, if you're wanting to route gigabit ethernet at wirespeed, you're
>going to need something with a little more umph
>than a PC with a PCI based backplane.  A lot of the newer switches will
>acutally do basic IP level routing at wire-speed...if you need
>an internal router for Giga-bit, this is probably the way to go.
>If you're using the LEAF box as a router/firewall for your
>upstream link, 100 Mbit shouldn't cause you any speed limits...
>and if it does, you're way beyond worrying about exactly how much your 1U
>router box is costing...

I'm using Oxygen as a bridge/firewall within a network segment on our
internal network, doing ipchains on the traffic between the bridge
interfaces. This has lots of advantages -- since there's no IP on the box,
it's hard for anyone on another network segment to even know the box is
there, much less send traffic to it.

Right now this is running at 100Mb just fine, so gigabit is just thinking
ahead for the future.  But because it is on an internal LAN, we do make use
of the whole 100Mb pipe from time to time.  If we get to where we're running
gig, then we'll need the horsepower to firewall it. I assume it is tougher
to bridge/firewall gigabit at wirespeed than just to route it, but I don't
really know enough to estimate what's required.  I was thinking that the
PE1650, with SMP capability, 64-bit triple-peer PCI-X, and PRO/1000 NICs,
might go a long ways towards being able to handle some or all of that need
without an upgrade, but maybe we'd have to change the hardware at that point
regardless?  Certainly, if I can't get the box to work because of some
chipset difficulty, that doesn't help me pass the traffic. ;)

Thanks for all your thoughts so far!

--Merrick Munday