I have some machines here running the Oxygen May 2001 release, they run very
well with no problems (thanks David!). Obviously I should upgrade to Oxygen
1.8.

I need to create some space here, so it’s time for these machines to fit
into the rack with the others.  I’m looking to replace the hardware with
some 1U rack servers.  I see rack servers available with embedded Intel
PRO/1000 TX NICs, using the 82544 chip.  Does anyone have experience running
embedded 82544s (or other similar Intel chips) with LEAF?

According to the Intel site these take the e1000.o driver.  I don’t see one
of these compiled for Oxygen, will the one in Charles’ 2.2.19 kernel work
with Oxygen May 2001 (2.2.19 kernel) or with Oxygen 1.8 (2.2.20 kernel)?

Also, these are SMP-capable boxes.  I won’t order them with two processors
for this application, but am I going to run into problems using a
uniprocessor LEAF kernel on SMP-capable machines?

Some other machines I’ve looked at are single-processor designs with
embedded Intel PRO/100+  NICs (82559 chip).  I guess these would be either
eepro100.o or e100.o drivers.  Are these machines a better choice?
Obviously there’s more room for growth in the others, and the prices are not
that different.

I know this is different harwdware from the majority of LEAF installations,
so if anyone knows about any other "gotchas" in LEAF on a rack server, I'd
be grateful.

Sorry for the dumb questions.

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance!

--Merrick Munday