> > and to load them in this order through the modules
> > package (there is a template for that in the modules
> > configuration file). Check the doc:
> > http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/jnilo/leaffw04.html#AEN3
> > 93
>
> If you need to load the modules package itself from the hard drive, I found
> that you have to add these lines to the /boot/etc/modules and the modules to
> the /boot/lib/modules directory.  Is that not the case?

Yes it is. I think this is mentionned in the doc.

> If you need to do this, you have to first uncompress and mount the initrd.lrp
package

> gunzip -S .lrp initrd.lrp
> mount -t minix initrd /mnt -o loop
>
> Then you can copy the files to /mnt/boot/lib/modules and make the changes to
> /mnt/boot/etc/modules.  Then umount the image and recompress it.
>
> umount /mnt
> gzip -S .lrp -n initrd
>
> Is there an easier way?  That is just how I got it to work.

There are basically two strategies if you want to boot Bering (or any LEAF
variant) distro from an hard disk (be careful: you loose the security attached
to a write-protected media):
1/ You make a ***msdos*** partition on your hard disk, install syslinux on it
an copy all the packages you need on the hard disk. Do not unpack anything. You
modify syslinux.cfg to declare the new PKGPATH to hdx and you put your ide
modules in /boot/lib/modules and save this in modules.lrp (do  that on a floppy
distro before copying initrd.lrp to the IDE disk).
linux kernel and initrd.lrp will be loaded thanks to syslinux, the ide modules
will be loaded then and after that the /linuxrc script will load the other
packages from the hard disk. Bering will be run from a /tmpfs fs as with a
floppy distro. Your IDE disk is just another boot media where your packages are
stored.
2/ You make a linux ***ext2*** partition on your hard disk and ***unpack*** all
the packages you need there. This is a more "hackish" approach where you get a
quasi linux distro on your disk. Not really recommended and requires some
knowledge of the program structure and some tuning too.
Jacques