* Jacques Nilo ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > > and to load them in this order through the modules
> > > package (there is a template for that in the modules
> > > configuration file). Check the doc:
> > > http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/jnilo/leaffw04.html#AEN3
> > > 93
> >
> > If you need to load the modules package itself from the hard drive, I found
> > that you have to add these lines to the /boot/etc/modules and the modules to
> > the /boot/lib/modules directory.  Is that not the case?
>
> Yes it is. I think this is mentionned in the doc.

There is a README file in the /boot/etc directory.

> > If you need to do this, you have to first uncompress and mount the initrd.lrp
> package
> >
> > gunzip -S .lrp initrd.lrp
> > mount -t minix initrd /mnt -o loop
> >
> > Then you can copy the files to /mnt/boot/lib/modules and make the changes to
> > /mnt/boot/etc/modules.  Then umount the image and recompress it.
> >
> > umount /mnt
> > gzip -S .lrp -n initrd
> >
> > Is there an easier way?  That is just how I got it to work.
>
> There are basically two strategies if you want to boot Bering (or any LEAF
> variant) distro from an hard disk (be careful: you loose the security attached
> to a write-protected media):
> 1/ You make a ***msdos*** partition on your hard disk, install syslinux on it
> an copy all the packages you need on the hard disk. Do not unpack anything. You
> modify syslinux.cfg to declare the new PKGPATH to hdx and you put your ide
> modules in /boot/lib/modules and save this in modules.lrp (do  that on a floppy
> distro before copying initrd.lrp to the IDE disk).
> linux kernel and initrd.lrp will be loaded thanks to syslinux, the ide modules
> will be loaded then and after that the /linuxrc script will load the other
> packages from the hard disk. Bering will be run from a /tmpfs fs as with a
> floppy distro. Your IDE disk is just another boot media where your packages are
> stored.

This is definitely the preferred way, I have found.  The hardware I am using
precludes me from doing it the floppy way.  Otherwise it definitely would have
been easier to copy the modules to the floppy, boot on it, mount it once
booted, copy the modules to the /boot/lib/modules directory on the tmpfs, then
back up initrd.lrp using lrcfg.  Backing up modules.lrp doesn't back up
/boot/lib/modules, as far as I can see.

> 2/ You make a linux ***ext2*** partition on your hard disk and ***unpack*** all
> the packages you need there. This is a more "hackish" approach where you get a
> quasi linux distro on your disk. Not really recommended and requires some
> knowledge of the program structure and some tuning too.

This is for the same type of people who wake up in the morning and beat
themselves in the head with a baseball bat.  They are probably better off with
a manually trimmed down debian image.