On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 08:27:08 +0100 Erich Titl wrote:

> I found that the 3c509 has it's own mind which ethxx it wants to be. So
> whatever you may think is eth0 it might not be. Try swapping the cables.

Just so it's documented in the list archives if it isn't already,
NICs are assigned to interfaces by MAC address.  IIRC, the lowest
MAC address becomes eth0 and the highest becomes ethN.

I use the 3c509s with Dachstein and Bering and have never had any
problems.  I always set the cards up manually with 3c5x9cfg before
installing them.  When using 3 or more NICs in a single box, I also
take note of the MAC addresses in 3c5x9cfg and order them in the
ISA slots accordingly to help preserve my sanity.

--Brad