Oops...forgot to include the list in the first reply :<

> A friend of mine is ordering in a 3mbps line (for his new small
> business) from the telco.  Obviously then, a 10/100 NIC on a LEAF system
> should be able to keep up with this.  Right?  IE; 10 is much bigger than
> 3.

Yes, almost any LEAF system should easily be able to keep up with 3
MBits/s...even with old klunky ISA NIC's.

Anyone done any speed testing with LEAF boxes and care to share the results?
I'm not talking about download speed tests from DSLReports...I mean hitting
the box with a network traffic generator & recording packet/second &
throughput at various packet sizes...

> My plan is to set him up with an LRP box and save him $$$.
>
> I guess I have a second question:  Does anyone know of a reasonably
> priced, LEAF suitable rack mountable PC???

I guess it depends on what you call "reasonably priced", and how much work
you want to do yourself.  Generally, the cheapest way to get into rack-mount
equipment is to assemble systems yourself out of standard computer parts and
a rack-mount case.  Note that rack-mount pricing is a bit like that for
mobile electronics: ie "smaller is more expensive".  You can find good 4U
cases for $150-$200.  2U cases are more like $250-$300, and 1U cases are
$400-500 & up.

I like using the 2U cases...they're a lot smaller than the 4U cases, but
still have enough room for a standard ATX power-supply, generic 1/2 height
CD-ROM & 3.5 floppy, and standard CPU heat-sinks & DIMM's.  1U cases
typically have custom power supplies (just hope it never dies), require
mother-boards with angled DIMM sockets (or really low-profile DIMMS),
low-profile CPU heat-sinks, and notebook style CD-ROM and floppy drives.

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net