What happens if your syslinux.cfg ends like this?:

boot=/dev/fd0,msdos PKGPATH=/dev/hda,msdos

And your lrpkg.cfg looks like this

etc,ramlog,local,modules,libz,sshd,weblet,modules,dnscache,xntp,psentry,

no need for the words LRP= in the file lrpkg.cfg - just a single line of comma
separated list of programs to load.
.