On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> As a kinda-newbie to Linux I've started using the Bering Firewall and I'm
> having some difficulty getting port forwarding working. Outgoing connections
> work fine - I can browse the net, send and receive my pop3 mail, etc. I just
> can't get Shorewall to allow traffic inwards to a webserver and Win2k terminal
> server.
>
> I'm using 2 Ethernet cards: Eth0 is a 3Com 509, Eth1 is a Realtek PCI card
> using ne2k-pci. Eth0 has a staticIP. dhcpd and dnscache are both working.
>
> /etc/shorewall/policy has been left as default
> /etc/shorewall/rules has been left as default - it's getting the values for the
> port forwarding from the variables set up in /params
>
> /etc/Shorewall/params contains mostly the default options, except:
> Loc_tcp_ports1=80,3389 (=www and Win2k Terminal Services)
> server1=192.168.1.2 (=my webserver's internal address)
>
> When Shorewall starts, the Rule outputs are:
>
> Accept fw net tcp 53
> Accept fw net udp 53
> Accept net fw tcp 22
> Reject net fw tcp 113
> Accept loc fw tcp 22,80
> Accept loc fw udp 53
> Accept net loc:192.168.1.2 tcp 80,3389 - all
> Accept fw loc icmp 8
> Accept loc fw icmp 8
>
> I can access the Weblet (and ssh if I put sshd on) internally, as I'd expect.
> If I do a port scan from grc.com, AUTH shows up as closed rather than
> stealthed, which I'd also expect. However, HTTP shows up as stealthed, which I
> don't understand.

Your Shorewall setup looks correct --

a) When you attempt the port scan, does Shorewall report anything about
TCP port 80 in /var/log/messages?
b) After the port scan, if you do "shorewall show nat", does the packet
count for the port 80 DNAT rule show a non-zero packet count? How about
the port 80 rule in "shorewall show net2loc"?

If neither of these packet counts is non-zero, your ISP is most likely
dropping SYN TCP packets with destination port 80.

-Tom
ICQ: #60745924  \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]