Thanks Tom - my replies are below. If you (or anyone else) can suggest
anything else I might try, that would be great :)

Yep. GRC's port scan probes the following ports:
21,23,25,79,80,110,113,135,139,143,443,445,5000. The first time I tried a
portscan, there were messages in /var/log/messages for destination ports
5000,445,443,143,139 (in that order). Each message is reporting a dropped
packet from the Net2all rule. A subsequent portscan only resulted in a
message for the port 5000 attempt - still dropped from the Net2all rule.

> b) After the port scan, if you do "shorewall show nat", does the packet
> count for the port 80 DNAT rule show a non-zero packet count? How about
> the port 80 rule in "shorewall show net2loc"?

"Shorewall show nat" shows a packet count of 20 for the port 80 DNAT rule.
"Shorewall show net2loc" shows a packet count of 109 for "state NEW tcp
dpt:80"

> If neither of these packet counts is non-zero, your ISP is most likely
> dropping SYN TCP packets with destination port 80.

I know this isn't the case because I've had a webserver running here up
until last week.

Cheers
Richard