Charles,

Thanks for the `steer'.  The machine I'm trying to turn into a firewall is
a P75, Dell Optiplex XMT 575.  Apparently there is no flash upgrade for
it.  I plugged the quad NIC into my debian box and booted Bering with the
tulip driver.  All interfaces came up!  But I also see a dummy interface
and am curious what is it for?

Back on the P75:  I scrounged 4 NICs, 3com, 3C509B on the ISA bus.  I
booted with each one individually and copied down their MAC address.  I
can plug any two of them in and the lo and dummy interface comes up, along
with eth0 and eth1.  Adding two more for eth2 and eth3 has no effect.  I
supppose this has to do with plug and play.

I don't have any Windows machines around, but I do have a DOS 6.22 floppy
that boots. I'm just now trying to find out how to defeat PnP or work
around it.  Any and all clues are most welcome.

--
Sincerely,

David Smead
http://www.amplepower.com.