Thanks for your help, but I'm about ready to buy some new hardware.

I have 5 of the 3C509B NICs.  I downloaded the 3Com PNP tools which are a
self expanding .exe.  That didn't do me any good, because it expects to
have a hard drive in the system for the expansion.  I really don't want to
install M$ on a hard drive!!

But I discovered the isapnp site, ock.demon.co.uk/isapnptools/ and from
there found a dos version that lets me boot dos, then swap disks and run a
couple of tools to configure the cards.  The tools say they configure with
the io and irqs that I set.

However, that doesn't work with Bering.  I still get just two interfaces
instead of four.  I've tried linking to 3c509.o to make it look like I
have another driver, and I've copied 3c509.o to another filename and
listed that in /etc/modules and I still get operation not supported by
device.

I have a couple of other old NICs that aren't PNP, but without enough
information to know what driver they take.

I don't want to waste a good machine for a firewall, but it's looking more
like that will have to be done.  How is everyone else handling more than
two interfaces?

--
Sincerely,

David Smead