> IPSec(1.5)  works like a charm on Eiger but I wanted to do thorough
> QA on 2.4  with iptables before going to LEAF 2.4 ( Bering ?)
>
> Netfilter is very different from the 2.2 stack.
>
> Anyway I loaded freeswan 1.94 and 1.96 on RH7.2(linux 2.7) and
> am seeing strange things:
>
> 1:  One scenario is getting a connection to my office from dialup
>   at home(which was tough) but then don't have a tunnel, can't telnet
> to machines behind the router.
> But What I observe that is really weird is on the corp. gateway the
packets
> are hitting the input chain instead of the forward chain.
> It seems that would have been proper on 2.2 but not 2.4.
> Packets destined thru the box are not supposed to traverse the input
chain.
> Perhaps that is different with ipsec ???

Umm...which packets?  Have you taken a look at the packet flow in the
FreeS/WAN Docs?  I'm not up on using FreeS/WAN with the 2.4 kernels, but the
IPSec traffic will look like it's to/from the local box (because it is) and
should hit the input/output chains AFAIK, while the actual VPN traffic
(pre/post encryption/decryption) will likely traverse the forward chain,
headed to/from the ipsec0 interface.

> 2.  The other scenario is a Lan Lab.  One Eiger with ipsec 1.5, one Red
Hat
> with ipsec 1.94  on a dedicated lan.
> These 2 units create a tunnel for 2  other machines to talk to each other.
> They talk allright but not thru ipsec, they are routing around the tunnel.
> The eiger machine builds its routing table correctly.
> The RH 2.4  with ipsec 1.94 does not correctly add an ipsec route when the
> connection
> comes up. ???
> I am studying the _updown script to understand this but I was wondering if
you
> have
> seen this phenom ?

Hard to say what's wrong without more details.  I'd double-check your
configuration files, especially the [left|right]subnet specifiers.  Crawling
through the output of ipsec look and ipsec barf might also present a likely
suspect...

Charles Steinkuehler