-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Charles
Steinkuehler
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 5:58 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Leaf-user] Floppy VPN (Dachstein based)

> I have a Dachstein box that does NAT and port forwarding for my network. I
> would now like to implement a VPN. I replaced the kernel with an IPSEC
> enabled one, and loaded the needed modules. I have the box able to boot
> and still NATing and port forwarding but get error messages. I do not have
> the exact messages, but would like to know if what I would like to do is
> possible. If it is I will post the exact messages.
> What I would like is for one LEAF  box to:
>
> NAT
> Port Forward
> Endpoint of a VPN tunnel
>
> Please advise if this is possible.

Yes, you can do what you want.  The only restraint on VPN's and
port-forwarding is the firewall cannot masquerade an internal VPN client (ie
running a VPN client on an internal system...sometimes called VPN
port-forwarding) at the same time the firewall is serving as a VPN gateway
(ie running VPN software on the firewall itself).

There are many folks running the standard NAT/masquerading firewall rules,
and port forwarding services (like web, dns, e-mail, &c), and using the
firewall as an IPSec VPN gateway.

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net