Charles,

>It sounds like IPSec isn't finding the proper secret to use unless the
>secret is tagged with the remote IP.  Are you assigning connection ID's
in
>ipsec.conf?  IPSec will use the IP as a default ID if you don't assign
one
>manually.  I typically use unresolved names as a connection ID, rather
than
>IP addresses...they are easier for me to remember (and make sense of).
>IIRC, there may also be some limitations on using pre-shared-secrets vs.
RSA
>signature keys...which are you trying to use?
>
>Try something like:
>
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>in your connection description at both ends...
>
>If that doesn't help, you'll probably have to provide your ipsec.conf and
>ipsec.secrets file for inspection (remove/alter any private info from
>ipsec.secrets before posting, but keep it otherwise intact).

I am using shared secrets. I will at one point want to try the RSA
encryption but I have experience with shared secrets and figured to start
there and then go to RSA. In my previous experience with Free/SWAN  (v.
1.34 I believe) I would specify 0.0.0.0 for anyone in the ipsec.secrets
file on the static gateway and 127.0.0.1 for local IP on the dynamic
gateway. I have not seen this instructed at all for the v1.91 with which I
am working. What should the ipsec.secrets file be for the static and
dynamic gateways. I currently have this for both:

216.29.35.154 0.0.0.0:PSK "secretgoeshere"

If you like I will provide the files.

Jason Massey