|Dan Lanciani suggested using fber optics -thank you
|for your efforts. That would be out of my budget,
|besides I have a WAP11 at the other end -> would
|require a 'fiber to UTP' adaptor -making it further
|out of reach.

Don't be too sure of that.  Check on eBay.  10BaseFl equipment
has become dirt cheap.

|a. Running the cable underground will have no effect
|on reducing surge generated by near by lightening.

I can attest to that.  We had lots of nearby ground strikes last
summer and they induced high voltages in various underground cables.
They even induced high voltages in some long cables that were totally
indoors and below ground level.  The voltages easily jumped (destructively)
through several layers of opto isolators to get at the equipment beyond.

|I was hoping to build a 'home made' surge protector
|that I would use at both ends of the cable -something
|made of simple zener diods and fast melting fuses (and
|eventually small coils).

I'm not sure you can win this game.  I had components literally explode
from the surges.  You would need some pretty hefty parts...

                                Dan Lanciani
                                ddl@danlan.*com