Dave,

I had this problem also, with an IDE hard drive.  It would write the
syslinux file on the drive (in spite of the lock error), but wouldn't
boot beyond the one line syslinux message.  I don't know exactly what
caused the problem, but using the documentation (for wireless, but the
same concepts apply) at http://www.dublerfamily.com/leaf/ worked for me.
Pete has a 'dachstein utilities' disk there also, which uses an earlier
version of syslinux.  I'd suggest reading the .doc file at the above
link, pulling the utilities disk, and following his instructions.  Don't
know what the real difference is (even the version that ships with
Bering failed for me) but it gave me the results I needed!

Brock