OK, the issue now is how to keep your conenction up as permanently as
possible. Occasionally my ADSL line will go down, and ppp will spot this and
exit. I've looked through the various ppp options, and there seems to be
scope for having ppp stay up and try reconnects every now and then (this is
CHAP auth)

This doesn't seem to be accomplished by the persist option, which I guess is
at a different level (i.e. line up but connection down)

I suppose ppp will need to re-chap when the line comes back up too.

Various options look like they might be likely to succeed, but rather than
just trial and error all of them, I was wondering whether anyone has done
this and knows for sure what will work.

Failing that, here is a solution from the ppp howto

"If you are fortunate enough to have a semi permanent connection to the net
and would like to have your machine automatically redial your PPP connection
if it is lost then here is a simple trick to do so.

Configure PPP such that it can be started by the root user by issuing the
command: # pppd

Be sure that you have the `-detach' option configured in your
/etc/ppp/options file. Then, insert the following line into your
/etc/inittab file, down with the getty definitions:
pd:23:respawn:/usr/sbin/pppd

This will cause the init program to spawn and monitor the pppd program and
automatically restart it if it dies."

This is a nice solution, but for Bering, if I wanted to do this, would it be
a case of remove the auto from the interfaces file, and move the
dsl-provider peers name into the options file?

Many thanks

Dave