Comments below.

On Sun, 19 May 2002, David Smead wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> Thanks for you reply.  I figured out the return route as the problem based
> on the output of tcpdump, but your reply is much appreciated by me and I'm
> sure others trying to learn more about networking will appreciate the
> information also.  In the hopes that I can contribute information I'll
> explain more about the situation.
>
> I'm trying to change something that was done earlier as a quick fix by
> someone else.
>
> In the beginning there was just the internal net, .8.0, and it was shared
> by both Linux and Windows machines (the latter in accounting).  The
> Windows machines would suffer (more than normal) crashes, which was
> eventually correlated with big file transfers between Linux machines in
> engineering - PCB layout files for example.
>
> The quick fix was to stuff another NIC in the firewall and let it be the
> gateway between two subnetworks, (the Windows machines use a Linux/Samba
> server that also has engineering partitions). That took the traffic off
> the NICs in the Window boxes and made them as happy as can be expected.
> The Windows machines are all running on 10Mbs NICs, whereas the Linux
> machines on the .8.0 net were upgraded to 100 Mbs NICs once they were on a
> separate subnet.
>
> I discovered the connection via the firewall not too long ago when I
> became involved in upgrading a new server and new firewall.  The leaf
> Bering machine is pretty much ready to deploy.  The .8.24 machine will be
> the new Linux/Samba server once it's in place, so I plugged a 10 Mbs NIC
> into it on eth1 and cross connected it to another Debian box for testing.
>
> My plan of attack is this.
>
> 1)  Pull the cable out of firewall for the Windows subnet and plug it into
> the NIC on the `will be' server, with routing setup so that the Window
> boxes can still access the old server. I'm assuming that the Netgear
> switch will soon learn the new MAC address for the .3.254 gateway.

Sounds okay to me.

> 2)  Get the LEAF Bering firewall deployed - with one less NIC than the
> present one.

Hmm. Not quite sure why, but okay.

> 3)  Shut off the Windows boxes and move their home directories to the new
> server.
>
> 4)  Pull the old server off-line.
>
> 5)  Give the new server an alias using the IP number of the old server.

I don't think SMB is closely tied to the IP address of the server, but it
is closely tied to the name you configure it with.  A problem could be
LMHOSTS files on the Windows machines, but not likely since they are not
commonly mucked with.

> 6)  Turn on the Windows machines.
>
> 7)  Put on my hard hat.

The bit about removing the NIC in the LEAF box will mean that the Windows
network will probably lose internet connectivity unless you are careful.
It also marries that network tightly to the proper function of the server.
You will need to make sure the LEAF box knows a) that .3.254 is the
gateway for .8.0/24, and b) that it needs to masq .8.0/24 in addition to
the .3.0/24 that it is directly connected to.

[...]

DCN:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing