On Monday 20 May 2002 02:53 am, Stephen Lee wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-05-19 at 12:28, David Douthitt wrote:
> > On Saturday 18 May 2002 11:14 am, Stephen Lee wrote:
> > > I tunnel imap and smtp all the time except I use stunnel.
> > > Presumably you are pointing your host1 mail client to localhost:110
> > > or localhost:143 and then ssh tunnelling those corresponding ports
> > > to host2:some_other_port_for poporimap? How are your ssh tunnels
> > > created? Does "telnet localhost 110" result in a response by the
> > > remote pop server?
> >
> > ssh -L 143:host2:143 user@host2
> >
> > -- or --
> >
> > ssh -L 110:host2:110 -L 143:host2:143 user@host2
> >
> > (I am trying to use IMAP only - but it's hard....)

> Possibly. This is what I have to do in stunnel:

Maybe I should try stunnel - I just fumbled my way through using cyrus-sasl
to generate some sort of *.pem file.  Now if I only knew for sure if
cyrus-imap was using it....

> I did notice in the ssh man page the following:
> "Privileged ports can be forwarded only when logging in as root on the
> remote machine." Does this apply to your situation?

Perhaps.  I've just done an IMAP connection over a different SSH tunnel, and
it works - and its one FreeBSD host (lets say, host3) to the same IMAP server
host.  No PPP link, but that shouldn't matter I think...