From: Lee [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2002 3:55 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [leaf-user] Port Forwarding

The IP address you see in the example is the IP address of the external
identd server that you want your box to be able to talk to, rather than
your router's external IP address. So your IP address doesn't matter.

If you don't know the IP address of the external server - or if you
think it could change (a reasonable assumption I'd guess) - then you
could instead use "0/0" for the external IP address. This is what is
happening in the two entries that follow the 216.171.153.128/25 example.
"0/0" means "any IP address".

However, this openness is something of a security risk, so a securer
compromise might be to limit external connections from identd servers to
those servers that reside on the gaming service's subnet. To do this you
would have to establish the network address and subnet mask of the
subnet that hosts the external identd server and use that instead of
0/0. (This format expresses the subnet mask as a "/24"-style number
instead of an 255.255.255.0-style subnet mask.)

You can probably determine the subnet details by doing a whois lookup on
the IP address or name of the identd server. Then use a subnet
calculator to convert it into the IP_address/subnet_mask_number format.

HTH