On Mon, 03 Jun 2002 21:09:59 EDT Steven Nickle wrote:

> I am in the process of setting up a development environment to build an
> application to run under Leaf/Bering.

<snip>

I am not the best person to answer, but since no one responeded
to your leaf-devel posting (or this one) yet, I'll jump in.

The most beneficial advice I can probably offer is to check out
Jacques' "Developing and using LEAF in a virtual environment"[1].
It is a great description of using a user-mode linux kernel to
setup a virtual development machine.  Much easier, IMO, than
running a dedicated slink system.  You might also want to read
Dave Douthitt's "LEAF/LRP Developer's Guide"[2].

> For the Debian/Slink environment, what kernel version, GCC version. glibc
> version, etc?

Real developers, please correct me if I mis-speak...

The kernel version of the development machine should not matter
for most (all?) development.  To compile newer kernels, I believe
you'll need gcc 2.95 or better.  I'm not sure how much it matters
for compiling non-kernel code but I would venture to guess that
2.95 or better is probably a good idea.  Unless you plan to upgrade
your leaf system to glibc 2.1[3], which is easily do-able if you are
booting from compact flash, you'll want to link against glibc 2.0:

>From a bering rc2 initrd.lrp:

  [root@brad-nb brad]# ls /mnt/initrd/lib/*
  /mnt/initrd/lib/ld-2.0.7.so*    /mnt/initrd/lib/libc-2.0.7.so
  /mnt/initrd/lib/ld-linux.so.2@  /mnt/initrd/lib/libc.so.6@

Hope that helps get you started.

--Brad

[1] http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/jnilo/uml.html