On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 09:25:38PM -0500, Brad Fritz wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Jun 2002 21:09:59 EDT Steven Nickle wrote:
>
> > I am in the process of setting up a development environment to build an
> > application to run under Leaf/Bering.
>
> <snip>
>
> I am not the best person to answer, but since no one responeded
> to your leaf-devel posting (or this one) yet, I'll jump in.
>
> The most beneficial advice I can probably offer is to check out
> Jacques' "Developing and using LEAF in a virtual environment"[1].
> It is a great description of using a user-mode linux kernel to
> setup a virtual development machine.  Much easier, IMO, than
> running a dedicated slink system.  You might also want to read
> Dave Douthitt's "LEAF/LRP Developer's Guide"[2].

I can only second this advice. The basics are pretty much:

Download a compressed filesystem-image
Download a kernel image
Uncompress both in a directory of your choice
(You might need to twiddle a little; I had to chmod +x the kernel, and
rename the root filesystem)
run the kernel from an xterm, and watch in awe, as the slink system
'boots', and subsequently spawns three xterms with each a login
prompt...

Many many kudos to Jacques (and anyone else who contributed) for making
this stuff available... It rocks!

Just fyi, the docs are at:

http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/jnilo/uml.html

<snipped kernel/gcc versions stuff>

I have nothing to add to that, so I'll just... not ;)

hth
Jon Clausen