Rob, I cannot offer much help on this subject just yet, but I will be
following it with interest as I am trying to accomplish nearly the same
thing: using a DSL connection as backup to our T-1--mostly for SMTP.
Inbound connections seem to work fine, but the default route for outbound
connections has me searching for answers.

There is another helpful thread (Re: [leaf-user] Detecting Disconnected
Network) on the list that polls some upstream hosts and restarts the
network.  That could be modified to change the default route.

> In closing, I appreciate *any* replies to these questions.
> Even if I get mostly nasty replies would help as it would
> imply that I'm either asking too much out of one box and may
> need to split this into pieces on several boxes, that I am
> totally in the wrong place and need a different distribution,
> or need to pay for a piece of hardware that is geared
> specifically to the tasks at hand.

As you'll see, the folks on this list are very helpful and tolerant.

Good luck,

George