Hello!  Please excuse if I've missed this topic elsewhere on this list, in the man
pages, or in a HOWTO somewhere.  I'm about 2000 messages behind in my reading on this
list.  I'll disclose right up front that most of my experience is in Cisco gear and
occasionally Alteon load-balancers, so excuse me if my questions seem a bit stupid or
if my expectations about how something should work in LEAF or Bering are contorted to
the Cisco world.  Honestly, if I could run BGP with my Cable and DSL providers, I
wouldn't be posting any of the following questions.

In any event, I have DSL already and will be accepting a cable modem "circuit" this
afternoon.  I'm hoping to just toss another interface in my Bering box, and add
another default route out that interface.  However, my questions are these:

-With equal metrics assigned to two default routes, will traffic that ingresses on one
interface be routed back out of that same interface upon server reply, since I'm
port-forwarding inbound connections?  This would imply that a port-forwarding
"session" table entry would take precedence over the routing table, right?  This would
be my most preferred option, because it allows the greatest flexibility and imparts
the hardest work on Bering to figure out.

-If not, then I need to apply a better cost to the interface that will do most of my
hosting, then apply some sort of periodic test that would flush my better cost default
route in the event that it's upstream path dies.  The problem here is that both
interfaces will be plugging into a switch (on separate VLANs), but even if the
interfaces were crossover-cabled to my cable modem (bridge) and DSL bridge, the Bering
box should never see that interface link go down, so there is no route flushing
mechanism since a Layer 2 path always exists.  Essentially, I am looking for Bering to
have some knowledge almost like a "hello timer" to some upstream device, such that if
visibility to that device (not necessarily another router, maybe my ISP's DNS server)
goes away, then a process kicks off to flush my current preferred default route and
uses the higher cost default.  To read into this from a Cisco perspective, I am
looking for some method of simulating neighbor adjacency without peering with an
upstream router, which is not an option.

Both of the two previous questions are aimed at how the traffic flows back out to an
external client who made an initial inbound connection to something on my network.

-Finally, in either an equal- or unequal-cost metric setup, does my outbound source
NAT (for my browsing) take place pre- or post-routing?  In essence, by NATting my
internal subnet (or host) to an interface or an address within the address/netmask
applied to that interface, does that ensure that my traffic will egress on that same
interface, thus basically acting like policy routing?

In closing, I appreciate *any* replies to these questions.  Even if I get mostly nasty
replies would help as it would imply that I'm either asking too much out of one box
and may need to split this into pieces on several boxes, that I am totally in the
wrong place and need a different distribution, or need to pay for a piece of hardware
that is geared specifically to the tasks at hand.

In any event, thank you for your time and consideration!

Rob Fegley
TGI Micro