I've been following this thread with some interest...trying to accomplish much the
same as Eric, and have been reading up, down and sideways through leaf-user.  I have a
Dachstein (floppy) system.  I'm trying to have a Win2k PPTP client (internal) connect
to a PoPToP server (external).  As with Eric, in my case the connection works fine if
I pull the router entirely out of the mix.  As a side note, the router does have a
public external address.

I do have the pptp module loaded, but I wonder if I may be getting stuck on the port
forwarding.  In network.conf, I have the following:

EXTERN_UDP_PORTS="0/0_domain 0/0_bootpc 130.111.135.159/32_47"

and

EXTERN_PROTO0="47 130.111.135.159/32"

...but when I try to "dial" the connection, the PPTP client quickly responds that the
server is not answering.  Nothing of note shows up in the messages file.

Appreciate any nudges (or requests for more info),
Andy

Have you loaded the pptp Module?  &
Have you set up protocol 47 to also port forward to your VPN server?

On your Win2k box, go to the properties of the VPN Connection and in the
properties setup box on the networking tab, set the "Type of VPN server
I am calling" to PPTP.   If you don't do this it will try to use L2TP
which requires a different port and secure protocols and sometimes a
certificate server.

I have several Dachstien firewalls in place and can VPN out through
any one and back in through any other to a VPN Server in the internal
network.

Andrew Gray
System Administrator / Senior Technician
Operations
VQA Australasia

Phone:  (07) 3804 9822
Fax:    (07) 3807 8633
Mob:    0418 734 078
NOTICE
The information contained in this electronic mail message is privileged and
confidential, and is intended only for use of the addressee.  If you are not
the intended recipient, any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other
use of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender by reply transmission and
delete the message without copying or disclosing it.