Jeff Newmiller wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

[ snip ]

> > > After savelog rotates the logfile, $DAEMON is writing to logfile.0,
> > > instead of logfile.  Obviously, this is not acceptable ;<
> > >
> > > I assume that this has something to do with the original redirected
> > > output keeping logfile open, even during the rename to logfile.0
> >
> > Correct...the file-handle used to log the daemon's output doesn't "go
> > bad" just because another process renamed the file.
> >
> > > is there a workaround?
> >
> > Yes...you have to get your process to close the log-file and re-open it
> > (so it starts writing to logfile, rather than logfile.0).  Since it
> > sounds like you're doing the logging at the shell level, you'll probably
> > just want to effectively do a "restart"...this can be handled using the
> > savelog scripts by providing a command to execute after rotating the
> > logs (ie: svi mydaemon restart).
>
> or just split the output and write it line-by-line... if you don't mind
> the timestamping offered by syslogd, you can use something like
>
>  # $DAEMON 2>&1 | streamlog
>
> ---streamlog---
> #!/bin/sh
> # streamlog - splits a stream and logs each line of stdin with logger
>
> IFS=''
> while read lin; do
>  logger -p local1.user "$lin"
> done
> ---------------

Yes, this is my preferred solution -- thank you.

Although, logger is not a good choice for this app, the message stream
is pretty lean and re-starting the app at log rotation was far more
distasteful

For those wondering, this is a cleanup and enhancement to my ntpclnt.lrp
that Charles wants to include in the next version of dcd.

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .