On Sunday 21 July 2002 14:30, Kim Oppalfens wrote:
> At 21:13 21/07/2002, Cass Tolken wrote:
>
> Your external address 24.46.y.z doesn't appear to be in the rfc1918
> range. So there is no reason to take the norfc1918 out.
> Is your intern dhcp server serving up addresses in this 10 range by
> any chance? I don't think so sonce your internal ip is in the 192.168
> range.

Some ISP's use private ip's on their DHCP and DNS servers, though
this is a bad way to save real ip's, it works for them. This is not
the case in your situation however, you would not have received
a DHCP lease if it was.

> So apparently this is actually someone on the outside doing this.
> Most likely scenario is that someone on your segment got his
> configuration mixed up
> and is servicing up 10.x.y.z addressed on his external instead of his
> internal interface.

MS boxes running Proxy and/or NAT services spew information out
of _all_ interfaces and this is probably what is going on here. I would
imagine that someone using a 10.x.x.x private network range behind
a M$ NAT machine is spewing DHCP requests from it's internal interface
out it's external interface. You can safely disregard the packets and
set the firewall to DROP them instead of logging them.
--

~Lynn Avants
aka Guitarlynn

guitarlynn at users.sourceforge.net
http://leaf.sourceforge.net

If linux isn't the answer, you've probably got the wrong question!